Illustration by Leane Morin
used by permission
(some may be two word answers)
Unscramble these letters to form words from Priscilla and the Hollyhocks (witch, clown, princess, devil, Dimitrii, Anya, Dasha, Irina, Rumanski, masks, Stefan, Bertuccis, America, Russia)
ITMIIRID, WOLNC, NAIRI, FENAST, CSIRCETUB, YAAN, KUSANRIMK, SCIPSENR, SAIRUS, CARMEIA, VLIDE, THCIW, HAADS, SKAMS
Click here to view a coloring page from the book's artwork by Leane Morin.
Story Detectives Answers
1) How do the front and back covers of the book show how Mama's attitude toward Halloween changes after she has gone trick-or-treating?
2) What symbols does the illustrator use to represent America and Russia?
3) What words or phrases does Anya use that show that English is not her first language?
4) What are the visual clues that Mama will end up wearing parts of the four children's costumes?
5) How are the various Halloween costumes illustrated in the book different from costumes American children wear today? How many different kinds of costumes can you find in the book? Would children today have similar costumes?